Thursday, December 11, 2008

My Holiday Wish List

There is way too much evil in this world. I am convinced of that. There is also too much ill-will and anger toward other people as far as I'm concerned.

If you have a TV, computer or read the newspaper, you know this. If you walk through the halls of an animal shelter, you know this. If you are a child of a nation that is home to a war, you know this. And as middle-class Americans, if you walk down the street or drive in your car, you know this.

You may not actively think of it each time you experience it, perhaps you are inured to it. Perhaps we are so accepting of meanness and cruelty that we only choose to be upset at the most vile and inhumane examples of evil. Its a sad statement of our society. But its reality.

In light of an incident that I witnessed today of someone I know personally being outwardly cruel toward a friend, a friend who has given much to this other individual. A "friend" who is going through a very difficult time right now - I am writing my wish list for this holiday season. This wish list does not include diamonds or pearls or a new car. (I would include a new puppy in the list - but then I'd end up in the dog house!)

This wish list is not for me specifically, but it is MY wish list for the world - for everyone to strive for. For making a better home for my children and for their children. And while it may not be clever, new, or even an exhaustive list, while it may be sugary or sappy to some, these are my holiday wishes for those of us who inhabit planet earth.

1. Kindness in times of trouble, in times of hatred and hardship. Kindness when it seems most difficult to be kind.

2. Compassion for those that are less fortunate in any way.

3. Generosity. In friendship, in love, in spirit, in time, in humor and when you can, in money.

4. Love - for people in general. Differences, disagreements, arguments, nationalities, colors- how can we not love that we are all one thing, one category, ...HUMAN!

Maybe if we took just these four things and utilized them more often...well...maybe the world wouldn't have some much anger, evil, meanness, cruelty and war. 'Cause how the heck can you be cruel to someone if your busy working on being compassionate and kind to them? DUH!

Welp, until the next sappy tail from Le Chateau.....

No comments: